• Saturday, Jan 18, 2020
  • Last Update : 02:07 pm

Khadiza shifted to CRP, determined to regain her life

  • Published at 11:25 am November 28th, 2016
  • Last updated at 07:52 pm November 29th, 2016
Khadiza shifted to CRP, determined to regain her life
Khadiza Akhter Nargis, the college student from Sylhet who survived a brutal attack by a leader of Bangladesh Chhatra League, has left hospital with a renewed hope of leading a healthy, fulfilling life where she gets to be a successful banker. She was moved, under police protection, to the Centre for the Rehabilitation of the Paralysed (CRP) in Savar, on the outskirts of Dhaka, on Monday morning for therapy and rehabilitation. Dr Mirza Nazim Uddin, director of medical services at Square Hospitals where Khadiza was treated, confirmed the matter to the Dhaka Tribune. “An ambulance carrying Khadiza left for the CRP around 10am,” he said. Speaking to the Dhaka Tribune, Khadiza's father Masud Miah said his daughter was determined to take back control of her life. “After surviving such a vicious attack, my daughter is dreaming once again about having a career. She told me that she was looking forward to working in a bank one day and taking care of the family,” he said. At the CRP, Khadiza will undergo advanced rehabilitation treatment to regain her faculties, said Nazim. Asked about her current condition as she still has trouble recognising her parents sometimes, Nazim said she would get better after going through the rehabilitation programme. The specialists at the CRP, however, are focusing on her physical rehabilitation first. “The left part of Khadiza’s body is partially paralysed as she suffered brain injury. We will do our best to cure her, but it may take two more months for her to get back to a normal life,” said CRP Neurosurgeon Dr Sayeed Uddin. CRP Project Officer Dr Sohrab Hossain said: “CRP has taken all preparations for Khadiza’s treatment and will bear all costs.” Earlier, in a press briefing on Sunday, Khadiza asked for everyone's blessings so that she could get well soon. She also expressed gratitude for the support she received from around the country and said she wanted to meet with Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina after she was better. Khadiza was severely injured when Badrul Alam, a member of Chhatra League's unit at Shahjalal University of Science and Technology in Sylhet, attacked her with a sharp weapon on October 3. Locals apprehended Badrul and handed him over to police, while others rushed Khadiza to MAG Osmani Medical College Hospital for treatment. She was transferred to the Square Hospitals in Panthapath, Dhaka on October 6, where she received medical attention until she was discharged on Sunday. Badrul is in Sylhet Central Jail and police have submitted a charge sheet against him before a court.