The Bangladesh government has pledged to provide extra security and compensation to the Hindus who were affected by recent attacks in Rangpur, India’s external affairs minister has announced.
In a tweet on Sunday, Sushma Swaraj said a detailed report had been sent to the Indian high commissioner in Dhaka.
“Bangladesh authorities have assured him that compensation will be paid to affected persons to rebuild their houses and adequate security will be provided,” the tweet said.
The remarks by the external affairs minister followed reports that a mob of protesters in Bangladesh had torched at least 30 houses belonging to Hindus in Rangpur.
The houses were torched over rumours that an offensive Facebook status was allegedly posted by a youth from the minority community. The rumour was that one Titu Roy, originally from Thakurpara but currently living in Narayanganj, put up a Facebook post defaming Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) a few days ago.
The attack was carried out by a section of a 20,000-strong crowd that reportedly assembled from six to seven neighbouring villages, including Paglapeer, Mominpur and Horialkuthi, after the Jumma prayers.
Also read- Mob sets upon Hindu village in Rangpur over rumoured Facebook post
Following the attacks, police filed two cases at Kotwali and Gangachara police stations. So far, 53 suspects have been arrested, Rangpur’s Additional Superintendent of Police Zakir Hossain said.
Rangpur Deputy Commissioner Wahiduzzaman said they had formed a three-member committee to look into the incident. The committee has been asked to file a report within seven days.
Also read- 53 arrested over attack on Rangpur Hindu houses
The savagery of the attacks has left dozens of families homeless and penniless. Many victims are yet to return to their homes over concerns of further attacks.