• Saturday, Jan 25, 2020
  • Last Update : 11:08 pm

Four Oikya Front candidate supporters hacked in Jhenaidah 3 a day before general election

  • Published at 08:09 pm December 29th, 2018
WEB_Jhenaidah_Dhaka Tribune
Map of Jhenaidah district Dhaka Tribune

The incident right before the polls has spread panic among the locals

Four supporters of the Jatiya Oikya Front’s candidate in Jhenaidah 3 constituency have been hacked with sharp weapons during an attack on them reportedly carried out by ruling party men at Kotchandpur upazila.

Three of them are in critical condition and currently undergoing treatment at Jessore Medical College Hospital (JMCH).

The incident took place on Saturday afternoon at the Harindia Alim Madrasa premises at Harindia village in the upazila, which falls under Jhenaidah 3 seat along with Moheshpur, according to locals and police.

During the attack, the assaulters also clashed with the villagers who had attempted to save the victims.

The four injured were identified as Atik, 27, Ismail, 24, Abu Taher, 45, and his son Naim, 20.

All of them are supporters of Oikya Front candidate is Md Matiar Rahman, a known Jamaat-e-Islami leader who is contesting the 11th general election with BNP’s sheaf of paddy symbol. He was arrested in Dhaka on Wednesday in a sabotage case.

Critically injured Atik, Ismail and Naim are now in JMCH. Taher was admitted in Kotchandpur Sadar Hospital.

Their families claimed that 30 to 40 people, led by Baluhar Union Parishad member Nazrul Islam, had attacked the four with sharp weapons at the madrasa premises.

Later, police and locals rescued the injured and rushed them to Kotchandpur Sadar Hospital. Atik, Ismail and Naim were transferred to JMCH later when their conditions deteriorated.

The incident a day before the polls has spread panic among the locals and many were seen in doubt about being able to cast their votes on Sunday.

However, Kotchandpur police station’s Officer-in-Charge Biplab Kumar Saha said some Matiar supporters had attacked Nazrul earlier and Saturday’s incident was a repercussion of that.