Secretary Helal Uddin Ahmed denies having any knowledge of the incident until Tuesday morning
Election Commission Secretary Helal Uddin Ahmed has said actions will be taken against the attack on journalists in Nawabganj once someone files an official complaint.
He made the comments over a phone conversation with this correspondent on Tuesday afternoon.
Earlier on Monday, at least 40 journalists of Jamuna TV and the Daily Jugantor were attacked and 16 media vehicles vandalized in Nawabganj.
However, Helal Uddin denied having any knowledge of the incident until Tuesday morning.
"No one informed me of the incident," he said. "The local UNO did not tell me anything. The newspapers did not publish any articles on the subject either."
He only got to know of the attack only after a reporter from a reputed daily contacted him on Tuesday morning, Helal Uddin claimed.
"There are police and army officials deployed in the area where the attack took place," he said. "If anyone complains, they are there to take necessary legal actions."
Meanwhile, Nawabganj Police Station Officer-in-Charge Mohammad Mostofa Kamal said “After being informed of the incident, we immediately sent a team to the site.”
The law enforcers also talked to the injured journalists; however they could not identify or recognise any of the attackers, he added.
Miscreants attacked journalists and vandalized a local hotel and several media vehicles in Nawabganj on Monday night.
The incident took place around 10pm at when at least 40 journalists of Jamuna TV and the daily Jugantor came under attack and 16 media vehicles were vandalized.
Journalists staying at the Shamim Guest House in Nawabganj barred themselves in for about an hour while the attackers went on a rampage.