A letter was sent to the district returning officer about the strike
Tangail 4 constituency independent candidate Abdul Latif Siddiqui has declared he will go on hunger strike until his death if the authorities do not meet his three-point demand.
Latif announced the hunger strike in a letter sent to the district returning officer on Monday morning.
The senior politician is staging the protest, now in its second day—inside a tent set up by his supporters according to his instructions—in front of the office of the district returning officer and deputy commissioner.
Latif’s supporters and activists claim their leader will continue the strike until his death; unless his demands are met by the authorities.
His demands include the withdrawal of Kalihati police station Officer-in-Charge (OC) Mir Mosharraf Hossain, the swift arrest of those who attacked his motorcade, and a letter from Tangail 4 Awami League candidate and incumbent MP Hasan Imam Khan—alias Sohel Hazari—promising he will maintain peace in the area for a free and fair election.
Latif’s nephew, Shahriar Siddiqui, told the Dhaka Tribune that his uncle has been in front of the returning officer’s office since the attack on Sunday.
He said: “My uncle has not eaten since yesterday [Sunday]. We have filed a written complaint regarding the attack, and sent a letter to the returning officer informing him about the hunger strike.”
Earlier on Sunday, Latif Siddique’s motorcade was vandalized during a campaign in the Gohaliabari area of Tangail’s Kalihati upazila.
Latif is a former presidium member of Awami League, who was ousted from the party for his derogatory remarks about Prophet Muhammad (SM), and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s son, Sajeeb Wazed Joy, at an event in New York on September 29, 2014.
Latif intends to run as an independent candidate for Tangail 4 constituency in the 11th general election slated for December 30.