The 11th general election will be held across Bangladesh on December 23
Chief Election Commission (CEC) KM Nurul Huda announced the date of the upcoming general election while addressing the nation from Election Commission office in Dhaka’s Agargaon on Thursday evening. Bangladesh Television and Bangladesh Betar aired the speech.
In case you missed his speech, here are the key takeaways:
- The 11th general election will be held on December 23
- There is constitutional obligation to hold election by January 28, 2019
- Over 600,000 law enforcement agency officials including police, BGB, RAB, Coast Guard, Ansar and VDP members will be deployed.
- Any election official failing to remain impartial during the polls will face legal action
- Army would be deployed under the “Aid to the Civil Power” provision to assist civil administration in maintaining law and order
- Electronic Voting Machines will be used on a limited scale
- Law enforcement agencies have been asked to ensure that voters, political leaders and activists, supporters of candidates, and polling agents do not face undue harassment and cases
- The sale of nomination papers will start from on Friday at the offices of all returning officers and assistant returning officers across the country
- The last day for filing nomination papers is November 19 and the last date for withdrawal of candidature is November 29. The returning officers will scrutinize the nomination papers on November 22