Some schools in Thakurgaon and Gopalganj have had to suspend classes after several students tested positive
Reports of students contracting Covid-19 from schools are baseless, claims Deputy Minister for Education Mohibul Hassan Chowdhury.
His remarks came on Friday while speaking to the media in Chittagong after an event.
The schools and colleges of the country were reopened on September 12 after remaining closed for a year and a half due to the pandemic. Since then, reports came in about school students contracting the coronavirus in Gopalganj and Thakurgaon.
“The infection rate has dropped significantly. We have issued a guideline with the instruction that students should not come to school more than once a week,” Chowdhury said.
“It cannot be said without a doubt that they would not have contracted Covid-19 if they had stayed home or they definitely caught the disease at school,” the deputy minister added.
He continued: “Even if they did attend school, they were going to other places, like relatives' houses or recreation centres. We have seen this happening in certain places and we have taken precautionary measures.”
On Wednesday, an eighth-grader, who had been suffering from symptoms consistent with Covid-19, died in Manikganj Sadar upazila while being taken to Dhaka’s Kurmitola General Hospital.
Several students in Gopalganj and Thakurgaon have tested positive for the infectious disease as well, prompting the authorities to suspend classes.