In the face of widespread criticism over the question paper leak spree during the public examinations, the government has decided to take the Secondary School Certificate (SSC) and equivalent exams in a new system from the next year.
Secondary and Higher Education Division Secretary Sohrab Hossain disclosed this after an inter-ministerial meeting at the Secretariat in Dhaka on Tuesday afternoon.
"We will surely bring changes to the existing examination system. First of all we have to create a question bank. As it takes three to four months to prepare question papers, we are unable to apply new method right now," he said.
The secretary said they have received some new plans and proposals which will be discussed with the experts. "Of them, one common proposal is to create a question bank."
Asked about retaking SSC exams held so far with leaked question papers, he did not say anything clearly. "A committee is working on the issue. We will work as per its recommendations. There are two million examinees as well as their guardians. All of them are not criminals."
He, however, mentioned that the upcoming Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC) exams, scheduled to begin on April 2, will not be held in the new system “as question papers have already been prepared."
About taking action against those involved in the question leaks, Sohrab said they have already arrested 152 people and investigations will continue even after the end of the exams.
The secretary also said no one - no matter whether they are teachers or officials -- will be spared if they are found with mobile phones in the centres during the HSC exams. "They will be brought to justice."
Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal, Posts, Telecommunications and Information Technology Minister Mustafa Jabbar, and senior officials of three ministries and law enforcement agencies were present at Tuesday’s meeting with Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid in the chair.