• Wednesday, Sep 19, 2018
  • Last Update : 01:04 pm

Ebtedayee teachers call off hunger strike on government assurance

  • Published at 04:43 pm January 16th, 2018
Ebtedayee teachers call off hunger strike on government assurance
Eighth day into the hunger strike seeking nationalization of registered Ebtedayee madrasas, the demonstrating teachers called off the programme on Tuesday afternoon following government assurance of fulfilling their demand soon. Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid and newly appointed State Minister for Technical and Madrasa Education Kazi Keramot Ali gave them the assurance. Carrying the ministers' words of assurance, Technical and Madrasa Education Division Secretary Md Alamgir went to the fasting teachers in front of National Press Club in Dhaka around 2pm. Following that, the teachers withdrew their strike. Abu Musa Bhuiyan, joint-general secretary of Bangladesh Independent Ebtedayee Madrasa Teachers' Association, told UNB that they were calling off their programme by putting trust on ministers' promise. He also said the secretary also assured that within three-day the ministry will prepare a final list of registered Ebtedayee madrasas as many of the previously registered 8,500 madrasas are no more in operation. The association’s Secretary General Mokhlesur Rahman told UNB that they gave an ultimatum to the secretary to realise their demand before the next national budget announcement in June this year. He also added: "We hope our demand will soon become reality considering the sufferings of the Ebtedayee madrasa teachers.” On January 1, the Ebtedayee teachers had arranged a sit-in programme, following which on January 8, they submitted separate memorandums to the Ministry of Education and Ministry of Finance. After that, on January 9, the teachers started their indefinite hunger strike demanding the nationalization of the madrasas.