Two-year-old child in critical condition with burns to 80% of his body
Three members of a family, including a child, sustained burn injuries in a fire that broke out in their house in the capital early on Saturday.
The injured are Md Sohel, 35, his wife Laboni Akter, 30, and their son Mursalin, 2.
The three were asleep when the blaze started inside their tin-shed house in Mohammadpur’s Nobodoy Housing Society at around 3am.
They are currently undergoing treatment at Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery.
Resident doctor Partha Shankar Paul said their condition was critical.
"Sohel sustained 75% burns, Laboni 30% and the child 80%,” he said.
Kabir Hossain, a tenant living next door, said he had rushed to Sohel’s house hearing the family's screams.
“I rescued them and took them to the hospital in the morning,” he said.
The fire could have started from a mosquito coil, Kabir added.