• Tuesday, Nov 30, 2021
  • Last Update : 02:52 pm

OC Pradeep refused calls from Sinha’s mother

  • Published at 04:03 pm August 10th, 2020
Nasima Akter, mother of Army Major Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan, speaks to reporters at her home in Uttara, Dhaka on Monday, August 10, 2020 <strong>Rajib Dhar/Dhaka Tribune</strong>
Nasima Akter, mother of Army Major Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan, speaks to reporters at her home in Uttara, Dhaka on Monday, August 10, 2020 Rajib Dhar/Dhaka Tribune

Several policemen from Uttara West police station reportedly visited Nasima at her house the following day for questioning. They did not reveal that Sinha was killed

Officer-In-Charge (OC) of Teknaf police station Pradeep Kumar Das, an accused in the killing of retired Bangladesh Army major Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan, refused to respond to repeated calls from the ex-major’s mother on her son’s phone on the night of the incident.

When Sinha’s mother, Nasima Akter, called her son at around 11pm on July 31, he did not respond to the call.

“I called repeatedly, but there was no response,” she sighed.

“He normally used to call back. But he was not even calling me back,” she said.

However, she received a call from her son’s number later that night.

“At about 12am, an unknown person called me from the number, asking me how I was related to Sinha. The question made me angry,” Nasima said.

“Sensing my anger, the unknown person informed me that he was the OC of Teknaf police station and told me that I should restrain my behavior.”

When Nasima inquired about her son, the OC told her that Sinha was away from the phone and then proceeded to disconnect the call.

Also Read- Major Sinha killing: RAB begins interrogation of four accused

Then she called Mohsin, a friend of Sinha in the army, and informed him about the OC’s call. “He told me that he was looking into the matter.”

Several policemen from Uttara West police station reportedly visited Nasima at their Uttara residence the following day. And yet she was unable to learn of her son’s demise from them, said the grieving mother.

“We welcomed them. I cooperated with them fully,” she said.

The police asked why Sinha had retired from the army, she said.

“I replied that he wanted to travel around the world. They then asked if he had any involvement with political parties,” Nasima said.

“‘No,’ I answered. ‘I can tell this with 100 percent surety.’ Then they asked where we were from, how many children I had, etc.,  and left after asking simple questions,” she said.

“But they did not even inform me of my son’s death,” Nasima added.

She said that she was pleased with the ongoing probe.

“The prime minister has talked with me. My son always said, ‘Be positive.’ I am also about being positive,” she said, adding: “Army, navy chiefs and chiefs of every force have assured their cooperation.”

Thanking journalists, she said: “You, and all of us, can bring about a positive change in this country. A beautiful change is needed. We have little children. Though our lives are about to end, we want to leave something for them.”

She did not want such a thing from ever happening again and urged everyone to stay alert in this regard.

Also Read - 140 extrajudicial killings: Ex-military officers demand OC Pradeep’s trial

About Sinha’s retirement from the army, she said, Sinha used to travel around the world.

“‘Today’s parents want their children to be doctors or engineers. Why should they be subject to their wishes?’ Sinha told me,” she said.

She said that she used to fear for her son’s safety since he loved driving fast.

Sinha’s sister demands speedy investigation, justice

Sinha's elder sister, Sharmin Shahriar Ferdous, who is also a plaintiff in the case lodged over his killing, said the family wanted a quick investigation report and speedy justice.

“We have only one appeal and that is for justice to be served through a quick probe,” she said.

“The prime minister and everyone involved have assured us that justice will be served,” Sharmin added.

“I feel proud of my brother, who is loved by a lot of people, which could be seen after his death. I used to tell him, ‘You are the prince of people’s hearts’,” she added.

Retired Major Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan was killed at Shamlapur checkpost of Cox’s Bazar-Teknaf marine drive in Baharchara union around 9pm on July 31.

On August 5, Sinha’s sister Sharmin Shahriar Ferdous filed a case with the Senior Judicial Magistrate Court of Teknaf against nine people including Pradeep Kumar Das and Liakat Ali.

Facebook 69
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail