The officials are the hospital chairman, MD, CEO, and a director
Police have asked some of the top officials of the United Hospital not to leave the country following the fire incident that killed five patients at its makeshift coronavirus isolation unit.
Confirming it to Dhaka Tribune, Dhaka Metropolitan Police Deputy Commissioner (Gulshan division) Sudip Kumar Chakroborty on Wednesday said: “According to the high court direction, the three-member probe committee submitted a report after investigation.”
The report noted that the Corona Isolation Unit of the hospital was made of combustible materials. There were no proper fire safety measures. Also, no activities were seen on the part of the hospital authority to rescue the patients from the fire, the DC said.
Therefore, the investigating officer (IO) will also take these issues seriously during the investigation of his case. “In this case, the IO will see who had how much responsibility and who was negligent,” he added.
Legal action will be taken against the guilty accordingly, he furthered.
Police sources said the four officials of the hospital are: M Hasan Mahmud Raja, Chairman of United Hospital Ltd, its Managing Director Md Faridur Rahman Khan, CEO Mohammad Faizur Rahman and Chief Clinical Governance Director Dr Abu Sayed MM Rahman.
Five patients died in the devastating fire at the United hospital's makeshift isolation unit for Covid-19 patients on May 27.
The family of Vernon Anthony Paul, who died in the May 27 fire, lodged a case against the Chairman, MD, CEO, Director, concerned doctors-nurses and administrative officers and employees in charge of security of the hospital with Gulshan police station on June 3, accusing them of negligence that led to his death.
Earlier, the fire service formed a probe committee and they submitted a report blaming the negligence of the hospital authorities for the deadly fire in the hospital's coronavirus isolation unit.
Fire Service Director General (DG) Brig Gen Md Sazzad Hussain told Dhaka Tribune on Thursday that he got the probe report and sent it to the Ministry of Home Affairs for further initiative.
He said a defective old air-conditioner (AC) was installed in the makeshift coronavirus unit and the fire broke out due to the electrical fault in that AC.
The fire service DG said the burned coronavirus unit was made as a temporary facility and materials used in its infrastructure were highly combustible.
"Those who were on duty escaped saving their own lives. Yet, if one of them had tried immediately with a fire extinguisher, such a major accident might not have happened," he said.
Ronald Ricky Gomez, the son-in-law of late Vernon, said the fire broke out after a spark from the AC. And no one took any initiative instantly.