Fire-service official said the fire might have originated from therapy machine
A woman has been burnt to death after a fire broke out at a residential building in Bashbari Mandir road in Dhaka’s Mohammadpur area.
The fire started around 8am on Friday.
The deceased was identified as Mabia Begum, 55.
Fire Service and Civil Defence control room duty officer Ershad Hossain said the fire originated from an electric short circuit on the fourth floor of the seven-storey building and engulfed the whole house.
On information, four firefighting units rushed to the spot around 9:13am and recovered the charred body of the paralyzed woman.
Local people brought the fire under control before the arrival of the firefighting units. The fire service men handed over the body to Mohammadpur police station, he added.
The fire originated from a therapy machine which was used by the deceased, the duty officer said.
Mohammadpur police station Officer-in-Charge (OC) Abdul Latif said:"We talked to the family members of Mabia. Mabia was paralyzed and had been ill and bedridden for a long time. She had a wound in her back, and was taking treatment lying on the therapy machine."
The fire might have originated from the therapy machine, he suspected.
In another incident in the city’s Moghbazar area on Thursday, three people were killed and five others suffered burns as a fire broke out at a garage located on the ground floor of a five-storey building.