On February 17, a gas explosion burned eight members of a family including a child at their house in Siddhirganj Signboard area of Narayanganj
Recently on February 17, a gas explosion injured eight family members, including a child at their house in Siddhirganj Signboard area of Narayanganj.
Two more who suffered burn injuries at the fire died on Tuesday.
The deceased are Apan, 12, and his uncle Hiran Mia, 23.
Hiran died undergoing treatment at the burn and plastic surgery unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) early morning, while Apan died around midnight.
With the new casualties, the death toll in the fire incident rose to five.
Confirming the matter to Dhaka Tribune, Md Bachchu Mia, in-charge of the DMCH police outpost, said: "Five of a family of eight who were injured in the Narayanganj fire are dead. The condition of the other three who are still undergoing treatment at the burn unit of the hospital is critical."
According to relatives of the victims, and locals, gas pressure always remains very low in the area and many residents there often forget to turn off their stoves as they are not sure when there will be sufficient flow for cooking.
The room had become a gas chamber overnight since the stove knob was negligently left open. Next morning when they (the victims) tried to ignite the gas stove the explosion occurred, leaving eight people injured, they added.
Following the incident on February 17, Apon's grandmother Nurjahan, 60, and father Kiran, 46, died undergoing treatment.
His uncle Abul Hossain Imon, 25, succumbed to death early Monday.