• Saturday, Feb 29, 2020
  • Last Update : 12:45 am

DMP chief: Police cannot avert responsibility for custodial death

  • Published at 03:32 pm January 20th, 2020
WEB_Commissioner of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) Md Shafiqul Islam
File photo of DMP commissioner Md Shafiqul Islam at a press meet at DMP Media Center Dhaka Tribune

Forensic expert confirms injury marks on Babu's body

Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) Commissioner Md Shafiqul Islam has said police cannot avoid responsibility if a suspect dies in its custody.

He made the statement talking to reporters after the Bangladesh Police Service Association paid tribute to Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in front of his portrait in Dhaka's Dhanmondi, on Monday.

Shafiqul said: "Initially, I was informed that the suspect committed suicide. We are investigating the matter; however, we cannot deny our responsibility."

He said a three member probe committee has been formed over the incident, and assured that punitive action will be taken against any officials found responsible or guilty of negligence of duty.

Earlier on Sunday, a floor in-charge - Abu Bakar Siddique Babu, 45 - of Bangladesh Film Development Corporation (BFDC), also commonly known as FDC, died in the custody of Tejgaon Industrial Police Station.

FDC officials, employees demand justice for Babu

FDC officials and employees, during a protest around 12pm Monday, on the road in front of its main gate, demanded justice for Babu.

The protestors said people are not safe inside a police station, adding that police arrested Babu alive and when he came out of  the police station he was dead. This was unacceptable.

Babu was detained on Saturday while the case against him was filed on Sunday, they added.

He was arrested and tortured even before he was sued, the protestors claimed. 

They also said that no one can commit suicide with a mere bed sheet hanging from the window grill, adding, that Babu had several injury marks on his body.

Forensic expert confirms injury marks on different body parts

Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) Forensic Medicine department Head, Dr Sohel, on Monday while talking to reporters in front of the morgue, confirmed that there were injury marks on Babu's neck, head, and legs.

He said forensic samples have been collected and they are being analyzed.

"We are waiting for the report, which usually takes one to two months to arrive, to confirm the cause of death," he added.

However, when asked, whether the injury marks on Babu's body were responsible for his death, he said: "The injury marks which we found on Babu's body were not enough to kill him. But we cannot say anything for sure until we get the forensic report." 

According to police, Babu was detained Saturday evening after a case was filed against him under the Digital Security Act. Inspector Iftekhar Islam took Babu to Dhaka Medical College Hospital in an unconscious state after he tried to commit suicide. Later, the duty doctor declared him dead.

Aleya, Babu's former wife, said: "There are numerous bruises on Babu's body. He committed suicide as he could not endure the police torture."

Another one of his relatives said AC Moinul and Inspector Iftekhar are responsible for this mysterious suicide.

Denying these claims, AC Moinul said Babu threatened to kill a woman on Facebook and he also tried to humiliate her. He was arrested after the woman filed a case against him under the Digital Security Act.

"Babu's suicide was even captured on CCTV footage. The claims about police torture are false," Moinul added.