• Tuesday, Jan 28, 2020
  • Last Update : 04:31 pm

‘Let me go back to classroom’

  • Published at 07:09 pm November 28th, 2019
Rushad Faridi
File Photo: Assistant professor of the Economics Department of Dhaka University Rushad Faridi standing with a placard in his hand alongside his students in front of the depertment Collected

Rushad Faridi, an assistant professor at DU was sent on forced leave in 2017

A teacher of Dhaka University’s economics department yesterday staged a sit-in, in front of the department chairman’s office demanding the authorities concerned to allow him to go back to classroom.

Rushad Faridi, an assistant professor of the department, was holding a placard inscribing: “I am a teacher, let me go back to classroom,” has gone viral on social media, reports UNB.

Rushad was sent on forced leave on July 13, 2017 following a syndicate meeting without issuing any show cause notice after a number of teachers of the department brought some allegations against him and refused to work with him.

Rushad said he was sent on forced leave over “baseless and false” allegations without any prior notice.

"After the High Court order, I have sent an application to join the department. But the department refused to receive my application and told me that they have nothing to do unless there is any permission from the higher authorities of the university," he said.

"But, the authorities are yet to contact me. I always raised my voice against any irregularities in the department and that is how I became a target," Rushad added.

Rushad also vowed to continue his protest every day until the authorities allow him to go back to the classroom.

He further said that the syndicate committee did not investigate him or take his statements.

“Had they investigated me, they would know I was innocent, and the fact that I protested was my crime,” he added.

On July 24, 2017, the High Court questioned the legality of the syndicate’s decision to send Rushad on forced leave.

The court then issued a rule asking the authorities concerned of Dhaka University to explain in two weeks why the syndicate’s decision to send Rushad on forced leave should not be declared illegal.

After two years, on August 25 this year, the High Court declared the syndicate’s decision illegal and ordered the university authorities to allow Rushad to join his workplace.

The High Court declared the verdict following a writ petition filed by Rushad.

Talking to reporters yesterday, Chairman of economics department Prof Shafiqueuz Zaman said they had nothing to do with this matter as there was a legal dispute between the university and Rushad Faridi.

He said the university authorities will decide his fate and they will just follow their decision.

Despite repeated attempts, Dhaka University Vice-Chancellor Prof Md Akhtaruzzaman could not be contacted via phone.