• Tuesday, Dec 10, 2019
  • Last Update : 08:06 am

Buet protest to continue until new 3-point demands are met

  • Published at 05:24 pm November 14th, 2019
web-buet protest
Aniruddha Ganguly, a student of Computer Science and Engineering Department, makes announcement at Buet campus on Thursday, November 14, 2019 Dhaka Tribune

The demands were submitted to Buet authorities on November 2

Students of Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (Buet) have announced they will continue boycotting classes and examinations until their latest three-point charter of demands is met.

Their demands are: expulsion of the 25 students named in the charge sheet filed in the Abrar Fahad murder case; punishment of the students involved in ragging; and the categorization and inclusion of student politics and ragging related issues into the Buet ordinance through the approval of academic council and Syndicate.

Anirudhya Ganguly, a third-year student of computer science and engineering, made the announcement at a briefing yesterday afternoon on behalf of the protesters.

He said the students would agree to sit for their exams if the first two demands were met, and they would finally sit for the exams if authorities comply with their third demand.

Term finals of all departments in Buet were scheduled to start on October 20, but they were eventually postponed due to the protest.

Previously, on October 29, Buet’s Directorate of Student’s Welfare (DSW) Director Prof Dr Md Mizanur Rahman had said: “We can meet the demand regarding the expulsion of the 25 accused in the murder case as soon as we receive the probe report. We extended the deadline for submitting the report by 10 more days.”

One of the protesters, Antara Madhuri Tithi, said the DSW director told them the Buet probe body was close to completing their investigation.

On Wednesday, police charged 25 Buet students, mostly leaders and activists of the university unit of Bangladesh Chhatra League, with beating second-year EEE student Abrar between October 6 night and early hours of October 7.

According to media reports, Prof Mizanur, immediately after the submission of the charge sheet, said that they would collect copies of the charge sheet and the confessional statements given by the accused and submit them to the probe body.

He also said a meeting of the Board of Residence and Discipline would be called and the board would make the final decision following the recommendation of the probe body and in line with Buet Ordinance 1962.

The students have been protesting for over a month demanding justice for 22-year-old Abrar, who was killed inside the university’s Sher-e-Bangla Hall.