• Friday, Nov 22, 2019
  • Last Update : 06:34 pm

Arrested suspect dies in DMCH, family blames police beating

  • Published at 12:13 am September 26th, 2019
File photo of Dhaka Medical College Hospital
File photo of the entrance of Dhaka Medical College Hospital Dhaka Tribune

 Police say the suspect died of accident injuries

Family members of an arrested suspect in Palash upazila of Narsingdi claimed that their relative was beaten in police custody and died in hospital undergoing treatment.

The deceased, Sher Khan Miya, 23, is a suspect in four cases, including three cases of robbery, said Palash police station OC Sheikh Md Nasir Uddin. 

According to police sources, on Sunday evening, police arrested Sher Khan from Borab market in the upazila. On the way to the police station, Sher Khan tried to jump off the police motorbike he was riding and injured himself. 

Following the accident, he was given first aid at the Upazila Health Complex and was brought to the police station. Soon after his condition deteriorated, he was taken to Narsingdi Sadar Hospital and later was transferred to Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH).

On Wednesday morning, the duty-doctor of DMCH declared Sher Khan dead.

However, Faruk Miya, older brother of Sher Khan, alleged: "A six member police team, including Sub-Inspector Iftekhar, Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI) Monjur, ASI Rubel, Constable Delwar, and Constable Manik, arrested my brother. Police beat him mercilessly when he tried to escape from the motorbike.

"When we (family) visited the police station Sunday night, we found Sher Khan lying on the floor in jail. The on-duty constable said a sedative injection was given to him as he was feeling unwell."

When Sher Khan did notre gain consciousness next morning, his family members started crying at the police station and only then did he receive medical attention, added Faruk Miya.

Faruk Miya further added that Sher Khan was a fish trader and there is no case against him. Police listed him as a suspect in a robbery case five years ago but the charges were cleared. "My brother died because he was beaten by the police. We will file a case in court regarding the murderous act."

Resident Medical Officer (RMO) Dr Sayed Amirul Hoque Shamim of Narsingdi Sadar Hospital, quoting Dr Rosy Sarkar, said: "When police brought Sher Khan to the hospital, no injury marks were found on his body. He was conscious but couldn't recognise anybody."

OC Nasir said: "Narsingdi Sadar Hospital recommended a CT scan and then he was transferred to DMCH, where he died. He was not beaten in any way. Two police members were also injured when he tried to escape."