• Thursday, Nov 26, 2020
  • Last Update : 06:11 pm

Study: Militancy higher with general education than madrasa education

  • Published at 09:02 pm June 22nd, 2019
web-holey artisan
Photo: MAHMUD HOSSAIN OPU/DHAKA TRIBUNE

In the long run, there is a need for different stakeholders’ involvement, like educational institution, Alem-Imam, and social community to prevent it

Amidst widespread public opinion that people linked to madrasas are likely to be more involved in militancy, a study has shown that, in fact, more people from the general background of education are engaged in militant activities.

Some 56% of people pursuing general education are involved in militancy, compared to 22% from madrasa background, said the report in a shocking revelation. 

Md Moniruzzaman, additional deputy inspector general (DIG) of police currently serving at its anti-terrorism unit, disclosed the information at a seminar titled “Preventing Terrorism and Extremism through Community Engagement” held at Brac University at Mohakhali in Dhaka yesterday.

The police headquarter conducted the study based on a sample of 250 people, arrested between 2015 and 2017 for their involvement in militancy, he said.

“Among the arrestees, 56% are from general educational background, and 22% are from madrasa background, respectively, with the remaining 22% being either uneducated or from English medium background,” he said.

On the other hand, 80% were radicalized via the internet, through various social media platforms, and the remaining 20% were indoctrinated by friends or associates, said the police official.

“So, we do not have to worry about the madrasa education system radicalizing students, since most of the militants in our custody are from general education background,” said the additional DIG.

The law enforcement agencies alone cannot stop militancy, and terrorism. In the long run, there is a need for different stakeholders’ involvement, like educational institution, Alem-Imam, and social community to prevent it. We need to introduce different types of de-radicalization programs, he added.

The speakers in the program said that law enforcement officials have been doing their job in combating militancy. But they reiterated that this is not enough, as police operation alone cannot prevent militancy, and terrorism.

Different types of de-radicalization programs through government, and other organizations should be implemented to combat militancy. Also, awareness programs in different institutions, including mosques, and educational institutions, ought to be organized to directly approach the masses, they said.

Since, 80% of the militants were radicalized via the internet, there is a need to develop a strong monitoring system.

The speakers also emphasized on the role of media, stating that the media should keep in mind that their writings should neither idolize, nor revere or provoke militancy.

Media must play a neutral role while publishing stories relating to extremism, terrorism, or militancy, and create public awareness about the menace, they said.

82
57
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail