• Thursday, Nov 14, 2019
  • Last Update : 09:01 am

Consumer Rights Protection: Shahriar's transfer withdrawn

  • Published at 12:27 pm June 4th, 2019
Manzur Mohammad Shahriar-Facebook
File photo of Monjur Mohammad Shahriar, the deputy director of Directorate of National Consumers' Right Protection’s Dhaka divisional office, talking to reporters in Dhaka Collected

MoPA secretary said Shahriar’s transfer order had been decided before the Aarong raid, on May 29

Within 12 hours of being ordered to transfer to Khulna, Monjur Mohammad Shahriar  has experienced a twist of bureaucracy which may not lead to his transfer.

Additional Secretary Sheikh Yusuf Harun from the Ministry of Public Administration told Bangla Tribune that a gazette will be issued to revoke Shahriar’s transfer order.

Around 12 noon Tuesday, various news channels reported that Monjur’s transfer had been suspended by the Ministry of Public Administration.


Also Read- Aarong-buster consumer rights directorate official transferred


Monjur told Dhaka Tribune that his phone was flooded with queries after Bangladesh Chhatra League General Secretary Golam Rabbani posted a status saying:

But Monjur said he himself had not been apprised of any changes.

Who is Monjur?

Monjur, deputy director of Directorate of National Consumer Rights Protection’s (DNCRP) Dhaka divisional office, on Monday fined retail giant Aarong Tk4.5 lakh upon discovering that several items were charged nearly double within a span of a few days.

He also shut down Aarong’s flagship store in Uttara, prompting widespread applause on mainstream media and social media.

What is all the fuss over a transfer order?

However, on Monday night around 11pm, Monjur learned that he had been transferred to Khulna, away from the DNCRP to the Roads & Highways Department. The abrupt transfer was widely criticized by people online.

Following the matter, numerous hashtags began trending online.

MoPA Secretary Faiz Ahmed told Bangla Tribune that Monjur’s transfer order had been decided before the Aarong raid, on May 29.

He said the transfer order was withdrawn to prevent sending the wrong message to the public.