• Friday, Nov 22, 2019
  • Last Update : 01:32 pm

Fire from TV explosion leaves couple critically burned in Dhaka

  • Published at 10:50 pm May 16th, 2019
web-dmch-burn-unit1-1529859023793.jpg
File photo of the Burn and Plastic Surgery Unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital Dhaka Tribune

The husband sustained 97% burn injuries, while the wife got 95% burns

A husband and wife have sustained severe burn injuries in a fire reportedly originated from an “explosion” of a television set at their residence in Agargaon area of Dhaka.

The fire broke out after a television set exploded at their ground floor flat of a four-storey building at BNP Bazar of the area around 4pm on Thursdayy, said Kamrul Hassan, duty officer at the Fire Service and Civil Defence control room.

At the time, their only son, Shafin, 6, was out for private tuition.

Injured Md Muktar Hossain, 38, and his wife, Salma, 28, were admitted to the Burn Unit of Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH) in critical condition, said Inspector Bachchu Mia, in-charge of DMCH police outpost.

Muktar sustained 97% burn injuries, while his wife got 95% burns, said the resident doctor of the burn unit, adding that they were in critical condition.