• Monday, Oct 14, 2019
  • Last Update : 09:01 am

Police, RAB asked to take legal action against three Viqarunnisa teachers

  • Published at 08:36 pm December 5th, 2018
Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid talks to Viqarunnisa Noon School and College Principal Nazneen Ferdous at her office in the institution in Dhaka on Tuesday, December 4, 2018 Mehedi Hasan/Dhaka Tribune

The government has also ordered stern administrative measures against the trio

The Education Ministry has directed the police and the Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) to take legal action against three teachers of Viqarunnisa Noon School and College for their rude behaviour with Aritry Adhikary that prompted the ninth grader to commit suicide.

A letter in this regard was sent to RAB Director General Benazir Ahmed and Dhaka Metropolitan Police CommissionerMd Asaduzzaman Mia on Wednesday, reports UNB.

The three teachers are the institution’s acting principal Nazneen Ferdous, morning shift in-charge Zinnat Ara, and Class Teacher Hasna Hena.

Meanwhile, the ministry sent another letter to the Dhaka Education Board chairman to take departmental actionagainst the teachers, including their suspension.

A third letter was sent to the director general of the Secondary and Higher Secondary Education Directorate, asking it to take steps to suspend the three teachers’ salary and allowances.

The Education Ministry on Tuesday had formed a three-member probe committee, which found the three teachers responsible for Aritry’s suicide.

The 15-year-old girl had hung herself at her family’s Shantinagar residence in the city on Monday.

She was reportedly caught with a mobile phone during an examination on Sunday, upon which she was accused of cheating, and her parents were called in by the school authorities on Monday. 

When acting principal Nazneen started misbehaving with her father, Aritry ran away from the principal's office and later, her parents found her body hanging from the ceiling fan in her room at their house.

She was admitted to a local hospital and later transferred to Dhaka Medical College Hospital, where the on-duty doctors declared her dead.

The incident then led to public outrage as other students and parents started protesting outside the institution, demanding justice for Aritry.