• Tuesday, Mar 26, 2019
  • Last Update : 10:53 pm

Patience leads to rescue of elder brother, recovery of younger’s body at Bangla Motor

  • Published at 11:07 pm December 5th, 2018
The body of 3-year-old Shafayet being carried out of his Bangla Motor house as his mother, in yellow, breaks down into tears Syed Zakir Hossain/Dhaka Tribune

The accused confessed to killing his son, autopsy to be completed on Thursday

After a rescue operation that lasted more than five hours, the patience of law enforcement officials reaped dividends as the elder brother of a family was rescued, and his younger sibling’s body was recovered. 

The two brothers, elder Nur Surayet and younger Nur Safayet, were reportedly being held hostage by their father Nuruzzaman Kajol.

Shahbagh police station OC (Investigation) Zafar Biswas said Ramna police began the rescue operation at around 8:30am, after they had received a phone call from Kajol’s wife Mithila Akhter Priya.

The operation was conducted at a two-storeytin-shed building, about 50 metres east of Baitul Mubarak Jame Mosque on Sonargaon Road.  

After receiving the phone call from Kajol’s wife, a police team led by Shahbagh police station OC Abul Hasan reached the location.

A large crowd had already gathered near the building, as Kajol had earlier announced that his younger son had died from electrocution. The announcement was made from a nearby madrasa.

The crowd, which included Kajol’s relatives as well as locals, was growing anxious as he was not letting anyone enter the apartment. 

High officials of police in the division, RAB, and a Fire Service and Rescue team reached the location around 10am.  

Divisional Deputy Commissioner Maruf Hossain Sardar told the Dhaka Tribune that they found the apartment locked from the inside when they reached the spot. Kajol was seen sitting inside with his elder son on his lap, and a machete nearby.

After finding out about the arrival of police, Kajol grew agitated. As a result, police decided to adopt a slow and steady approach, to stop him from having an outburst.

“We were prioritizing the safety of the elder son, and we wanted to avoid any bloodshed. As such, we did not want make any hasty movements, and gave Kajol enough time to think the whole situation through,” Maruf said.

Although initially reluctant, Kajol eventually decided to leave the apartment with his elder son and surrender, after being convinced by police that locals had already gathered for his younger son’s namaz-e-janaza. 

The DC added that police took position outside the door of the apartment in case Kajol decided to change his mind, but the father surrendered to police without any further incident at around 1:50pm. The inside of the apartment was found to be in a mess.

Regarding the operation, RAB Sub-Inspector Shahidul Islam said: “When we tried to bring Kajol out from the building, he seemed very angry and agitated. He refused to take help from law enforcement officials, and kept saying he would bury his son at Azimpur graveyard himself.”

“His anger compelled us to rethink our modus operandi, and we decided to be more patient,” he added. 

Accused confesses to killing his son, autopsy to be completed on Thursday

Kajol, who is reportedly an addict, confessed to killing his son in the initial interrogation, Shahbagh police station OC (Investigation) Zafar Biswas said.

He added that Kajol told police he killed his younger son on early Wednesday.

The police official refused to make further comments on the matter, as a case had been filed by Kajol’s wife and was under investigation.

Meanwhile, our correspondent at the Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) said that the Dhaka Medical College Chief of forensics departmentAssociate Professor Sohel Mahmud told him that the autopsy of the deceased Nur Safayet would be completed today.

According to the First Information Report, the body was recovered from the north-western room of the apartment,on the first floor of the building. Police found injury marks on Nur Safayet’s face and under his chin.