• Thursday, Dec 12, 2019
  • Last Update : 07:03 pm

2 injured in Mohammadpur fire

  • Published at 01:24 pm November 6th, 2018
Fire
Representational photo Collected

A gas leak occurred at Nabi Nagar Housing in Mohammadpur on Tuesday

Two people have suffered burns from a  fire that broke out in their residence, from a gas leak, in Dhaka's Mohammadpur.

The incident occurred at Nabi Nagar Housing in the early hours of Tuesday.

The injured – Saiful Islam Rubel, 25, and his wife Sajena Akhter, 18 – have been taken to Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH) in critical condition.

The injured, Saiful's brother Md Ekhlas, told the Dhaka Tribune: "My brother, his wife, and I lived in adjacent rooms in a tin shed home. My brother managed a cow farm in the housing area."

He said that with neighbours’ help, they broke into the victims' room and rescued the couple—when they saw smoke billowing out of the room around 5am. Then, they took them to DMCH’s burn and plastic surgery unit around 6:30am.

They believe the fire was caused by a gas leak from a cylinder in their room, he added.

Sub-Inspector (SI) Bacchu Miah of the DMCH police outpost confirmed the matter, saying: "The husband and wife are in critical condition."

Quoting the doctor, SI Bachhu said Saiful received burns to 97% of his body and Sajena received burns to 75% of her body.