• Friday, Apr 26, 2019
  • Last Update : 04:06 pm

Daylong clash between university students, police at Bashundhara

  • Published at 09:34 pm August 6th, 2018
bashundhara nsu clash
Students and police stand face to face inside Bashundahra Residential Area, August 6, 2018 Afrose Jahan Chaity

The situation calmed down around 6pm

Police have clashed with students of North South University, and Independent University, Bangladesh, in Dhaka’s Bashundhara Residential Area.

According to witnesses, around 12:30pm on Monday, 1,000 to 1,500 students of these two private universities led small-group processions into the area. They marched from their campuses, demanding safer roads. As they gathered in front of Bashundhara Main Gate and tried to block the road, police chased them. 

The law enforcers also fired rubber bullets and tear gas shells at the students. 

Students took position in various roads across the area and hurled pebbles at law enforcers.

Several policemen and students were injured in these sporadic clashes. Many of the injured were taken to the nearby Apollo Hospital.

As police pressed forward, many students took shelter in the NSU campus.

Around 4:30pm, police came out from Basundhara and took position in front of the main gate.

Three students were detained from scene.

Around 6pm, Badda zone Assistant Commissioner ashraful Karim said the situation is under control of police.

Vehicle movement returned to normal in Bashundhara and Pragati Sarani.

Belal Ahmed, Deputy Director (PR) of NSU, said: “We do not know why police clashed with our students. Students from different universities were present during the clash.”

“In order to protect our students we let them into the campus. We checked ID cards of each student before letting them in.”

The NSU VC called senior police officials, who informed him that they would not harm the students, at which point they were allowed to leave peacefully, Belal said.

“Some students were injured, but we do not have an exact number,” he said.

“We have not decided to close the university. Our proctor just told students to leave the campus since no classes were being held at that time.”