• Friday, Jan 24, 2020
  • Last Update : 02:19 am

Bus torched after it kills motorcyclist in Dhaka amidst movement for safe roads

  • Published at 03:14 pm August 3rd, 2018
File photo: A bus was torched after it hit and killed a motorcyclist in Dhaka's Moghbazar area on Friday, August 3, 2018 Dhaka Tribune

The deceased was a nurse at a city hospital

A motorcyclist has been killed after a bus hit his two-wheeler in Dhaka, amidst an ongoing movement of the students demanding safe roads.

Some agitated people then vandalized and set the bus on fire right after the crash at Moghbazar Wireless area around 1:30pm on Friday, police confirmed.

Those who torched the vehicle could not be identified immediately.

The deceased was identified as Saiful Islam Rana, 23, from Barisal’s Banaripara.

He used to work as a nurse at privately-run Dhaka Community Medical College and Hospital, and lived at the capital’s Khilgaon area.

Ramna police station’s Sub-Inspector (SI) Mohibullah, who was among the rescuers, said the SP Golden Line bus was going towards Malibagh when it rear-ended Saiful’s motorcycle right after coming down from the Moghbazar-Mouchak flyover, leaving him critically injured.

He was taken to taken to nearby Sirajul Islam Medical College Hospital first, and then Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) where the duty doctors pronounced him dead around 2:15pm, said the police official.

Witnesses also said that the bus had dragged Saiful and his motorcycle a few meters forward before stopping.

Fire Service and Civil Defence’s control room duty officer Ershad Hossain said three of their units had rushed to the scene and put out the fire around 2:12pm.

He, however, could not confirm whether any passenger of the bus was injured.

A view from inside the bus that was set on fire at Moghbazar on August 3, 2018 | Rajib Dhar/Dhaka Tribune
SI Mohibullah also said that the locals had caught the driver of the killer bus right away, and handed him over to police after a good thrashing.

The driver was identified as Imran Hossain, 25. He was currently in custody of Ramna police station. His assistant Saimon, however, managed to flee after the incident.

Meanwhile, students demonstrating in Moghbazar area claimed the bus was torched by some outsiders and they had nothing to with it.

Dhaka Metropolitan Police’s Ramna Division Deputy Commissioner Maruf Hossain Sarder also told the Dhaka Tribune that the incident was not related to the student protests, and the bus was set on fire by some agitated locals.

“We are looking into the incident,” he added.

Students of different educational institutions have been demonstrating across the city for the past five days demanding safe roads and justice for two college students who were killed under the wheels of a speeding Jabal-e-Noor Paribahan bus on Airport Road on July 29.

Several other students were also critically injured when the bus ploughed through a group of students of Shaheed Ramiz Uddin School and College, who were waiting beside the road for transportations.

Since then, apart from blockading the major city streets, the demonstrating students have also been enforcing traffic laws on their own, including checking driving licences and vehicles’ registrations and fitness certificates.

During the demonstrations, however, many vehicles were vandalized and some torched, bringing the capital to its knees as public transport went off the streets.

The movement for safe roads have spread among the students across the country over the past few days.

The students in Dhaka had placed a nine-point charter of demands for the authorities to meet. Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal on Thursday said that their demands were being met following directives from Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.