As there is no specific budget allocation for the FY2018-2019 in this regard, a second round of demonstrations have begun
Teachers and employees of non-MPO educational institutions have gone on a hunger strike for an indefinite period demanding enlistment of their institutions under the Monthly Pay Order (MPO) scheme.
Under the banner “Non-MPO Educational Institutions Teachers' and Employees' Federation”, they began their strike around 10am on Monday in front of the Jatiya Press Club, braving heavy downpour.
The non-MPO teachers have been continuing demonstrations for the last 16 days, said Dr Binoy Bhushan Ray, general secretary of the federation.
Earlier on June 22, they submitted a memorandum to the president, but the government did not take any initiative to meet their demand, he said adding that they will continue their strike until the fulfillment of their demand.
On June 10, they started demonstrations to press home their demand.
Although initially a half-day sit-in had been observed every day, the teachers and employees went on a non-stop sit-in program from June 18.
On December 31 last year, teachers and employees of non-MPO educational institutions had started observing a hunger strike to press for their demand. They ended the strike on January 5 after getting the prime minister's assurance of the demands being met.
As there is no specific budget allocation for the 2018-2019 fiscal year in this regard, the non-MPO teachers and employees have begun a second round of demonstrations.