• Wednesday, Jan 22, 2020
  • Last Update : 01:55 pm

Chhatra League leaders allegedly threaten quota reform movement leader

  • Published at 07:12 pm May 16th, 2018
  • Last updated at 12:34 am May 17th, 2018
Quota reform protest
File photo of quota reform protest Dhaka Tribune

‘We are just waiting for the gazette notification to be published. After that we will kill you’

Bangladesh Chhatra League leaders allegedly threatened quota reformists’ convener Nurul Haque Nur on Wednesday.

On a live video broadcast on Facebook, Nurul claimed that he was attacked and threatened by the vice president of the expired central committee of Chhatra League and supporters of the organization's Haji Md Mohsin Hall unit general secretary.

Nurul said the attack took place while he and the other joint convenor Rashed Khan, of the quota reform movement, were entering their room in Haji Md Mohsin Hall.

The accused Chhatra League leaders are expired central committee Vice President Imtiaz Bulbul Bappi, Mohsin Hall unit General Secretary Mehedi Hasan Sani, and Fine Arts Faculty unit's General Secretary Fahimul Islam Lemon.

According to Nurul, a sports reporter of a private TV channel and some other friends were present at the time of the incident and prevented the Chhatra League men from harming them.

Nurul claimed that Imtiaz threatened them whilst showing a gun and told them to seek prayers from their parents.

Imtiaz threatened them by saying: “We are just waiting for the gazette notification to be published. After that we will kill you.”

Imtiaz also said: “We could have killed you already but our high command stopped us from doing so.”

While talking to the Dhaka Tribune Mehedi Hasan Sani denied the allegations against him.

He said: “As I am the chief of the hall unit, it was my responsibility to tackle any untoward situation. I did not threaten the protesters, Bappi did. The sports reporter can confirm it.”

Sheikh Ashik, sports reporter of a private television channel, told the Dhaka Tribune: “At first the accused threatened Nurul over the phone, and tried to attack Rashed and Nurul twice.  Mehedi along with his fellow men also threatened Nurul and Rashed.”

Nurul told the Dhaka Tribune: “The accused, after watching the Facebook live video, tried to attack us again.”

Imtiaz, however, told the Dhaka Tribune: “Allegations against me of showing a gun is false and baseless. Nurul stays next to my room. I went there to tell him not to spread rumours using fake accounts on social media.”

Meanwhile, quota reformists under the banner of “Bangladesh Sadharan Chhatra Adhikar Sangrakkhan Parishad,” brought out a procession protesting the attack, from the DU central library premises.

The quota reformers paraded important streets of the campus and ended up at TSC’s Raju Memorial Sculpture, demanding immediate arrest of the accused.

After the procession, Nurul told the journalists: “We want immediate arrest and exemplary punishment of those involved.”

Shahbagh police station refused to accept the GD

“We have tried to take help from National Help Line 999 and university administration, as the Chhatra League leaders tried to attack us twice. Provost of the hall came to visit us later and stayed until morning,” Nurul added.

Convener of the movement Hasan Al Mamun said: “We will continue our peaceful protest of boycotting classes and examinations.”

The protestors held another press conference at 4pm as police refused to take general diary from them.

Addressing the press conference, Nurul Haque Nur said: "We went to the Shahbagh police station to file a general dairy to ensure our safety. 

“They made us write the dairy, but refused to take it citing it needs permission of concerned authorities.”

The police station officials said as it is part of a huge demonstration. They have to get permission from higher authorities to accept the GD. 

When contacted, DU proctor Prof AKM Golam Rabbani said he has informed the hall's provost and asked them to take initiatives to ensure the protestors’ safety.