• Friday, Nov 22, 2019
  • Last Update : 03:07 am

US-Bangla plane crash survivor Shahin Bepari dies

  • Published at 06:04 pm March 26th, 2018
  • Last updated at 07:10 pm March 26th, 2018
US-Bangla plane crash survivor Shahin Bepari dies
Shahin Bepari, one of the 10 Bangladeshis injured in the March 12 crash of US-Bangla Airlines Flight BS211 in Nepal, has died while undergoing treatment at Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH). Dr Samanta Lal Sen, coordinator of the hospital’s burn and plastic surgery unit, said Shahin passed away at 4:45pm on Monday after suffering a septicaemic shock followed by a cardiac arrest. Around 12pm, the 43-year-old with 32% “deep burns” on his body was put on life support after his condition had deteriorated. With Shahin’s death, the number of perished passengers in the March 12 crash rose to 50, 27 of whom were Bangladeshis. Dr Samanta said Shahin had undergone a second skin graft surgery at DMCH on Sunday. After that, he was fine until Monday morning when his condition worsened, forcing the doctors to put him on life support. Samanta also added that Shahin had lost a lot of blood after his wounds became infected. Shahin’s autopsy was underway and the body was likely to be handed over to his family later in the evening on Monday, doctors said. Shahin was brought back home from Kathmandu on March 18. He underwent the first skin grafting the next day. He is survived by his wife and 12-year-old daughter, Shahin worked at a clothes shop in Dhaka’s Sadarghat, but lived with his family in Narayanganj’s Adamji. After surviving the plane crash at Kathmandu’s Tribhuvan International Airport, Shahin was treated at a Nepal hospital for six days before being returned home. The US-Bangla Airlines aircraft with 71 people on board had crashed and burst into flames. A total of 49 people, including 26 Bangladeshis and 22 Nepal nationals, were killed on the spot. Of the 10 Bangladeshi survivors - Shahin, Mehedi Hasan, Saiyada Kamrunnahar Shwarna, Almun Nahar Annie, Sheikh Rashed Rubayet and Shahreen Ahmed were brought back to Dhaka and admitted to DMCH. Four others were sent to Singapore and India for better treatment.