• Wednesday, Nov 14, 2018
  • Last Update : 05:14 pm

Quota reform seekers bring out bicycle rally from DU

  • Published at 01:58 am March 12th, 2018
Quota reform seekers bring out bicycle rally from DU
Hundreds of students on Sunday brought out a bicycle rally in Dhaka city demanding review of the existing quota system in the government job recruitment process, including the Bangladesh Civil Service (BCS) examinations. The protesters, mostly students of Dhaka University (DU), had gathered in front of the DU Central Library in the morning under the banner of Sadharan Chhatra Odhikar Sangrakkhan Parishad (Council to Protect Rights of General Students). Later, they started their rally from the Antiterrorism Raju Memorial Sculpture at TSC intersection. It later went through Doel Chattor, Jagannath University, Kabi Nazrul College, Dhaka Medical College Hospital, Dhaka College and Tejgaon College, and ended in front of the DU Central Library after coming through Shahbagh. The rally was part of the protesters’ attempt to press home their five-point charter of demands including keeping 10% quota for freedom fighters’ children and others, and the rest 90% recruitment on merit basis in government jobs. Their other demands are: recruitment of meritorious students in government jobs if eligible one fails to secure a job under the quota system, stop special recruitment under a fixed quota, uniform age limit in government recruitment process and scope for switching job under quota facility only on the basis of merit. Currently, 44% are recruited on merit and the remaining 56% from privileged candidates allocated under various quotas. The protesters also demand full implementation of Section 29(1) and 29(2) of the constitution as well as preventing discrimination in the recruitment process. On March 4, they announced to stage sit-in programs in front of every deputy commissioner’s office across the country and in front of the Public Administration Ministry in Dhaka on March 14, if their demands were not met by March 13. The job seekers had staged nationwide demonstrations earlier on February 17, February 25 and March 4.