• Monday, Jan 27, 2020
  • Last Update : 05:53 am

2 dead in Uttara fire, authorities blame building owners for ignoring warnings

  • Published at 08:21 am July 3rd, 2017
  • Last updated at 11:05 pm July 3rd, 2017
2 dead in Uttara fire, authorities  blame building owners for ignoring warnings
Two people died in the fire that broke out on Monday at Sea Shell Restaurant in Uttara early morning and quickly spread to two other adjacent buildings, Sea Shell Hotel and Restaurant and Porimoni Manson. Uttara Fire Station’s Senior Officer Shafiqul Islam said: “We recovered two bodies from room 302 after searching the entire hotel.” Sub-Inspector (SI) Sumon Shikdar of Uttara East police station said they identified one of the deceased from his mobile phone as Md Rasel Mia, 35, an employee of Pran RFL group in Dhaka. He was the son of Noor Mohammad of Himchar in Chandpur. He lived in Pallabi, Dhaka. However, police have not been able to identify the woman recovered from the same room. They say she is around 25-30 years of age. SI Sumon Shikdar said they rescued two people from the roof of the building earlier in the morning. [caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="986"]Fourteen firefighting units went to the spot and brought the blaze under control on July 3, 2017 Mahmud Hossain Opu/DHAKA TRIBUNE Firefighters using crane to spray water on the buildings where fire broke out on July 3, 2017 Mahmud Hossain Opu/DHAKA TRIBUNE[/caption] Fire Service and Civil Defence’s Director (operation & maintenance) Shakil Nawaj told the Dhaka Tribune that the fire broke out at 5am at Sea Shell Hotel and Restaurant on the main road of Uttara’s Sector 4. The buildings are opposite the Rajlaxmi Complex. Uttara Fire Station’s Shafiqul Islam said they had sent warning letters to the three buildings including Sea Shell Restaurant that they were at risk of fire a few months ago. However, Sea Shell Restaurant’s Marketing Manager Md Shohel and Porimoni Manson owner Esme Ara Hanif denied having been sent any warning letters and claimed they were prepared for fires in the building. Fire Service and Civil Defence refutes their claim, saying there were no fire extinguishers in the three  buildings causing the fire to spread rapidly. Fire Service Director Major Shakil said the buildings had flammable furniture that caused the fire to spread even faster. “It took two hours to bring the fire under control that damaged large parts of the building. “A three-member committee led by Deputy Director Dabasis Bardhan has been formed to investigate the accident and find the cause of the fire. They will submit their report within 15 working days,” he added.