Planning Minister AHM Mustafa Kamal says a total of 19 projects were placed at Thursday’s meeting
The Executive Committee of the National Economic Council (Ecnec) has approved 17 projects involving Tk14, 200.59 crore.
The approval came from the weekly Ecnec meeting held on Thursday at the NEC conference room with Ecnec Chairperson and Prime Minister, Sheikh Hasina, in the chair.
Planning Minister AHM Mustafa Kamal, while briefing the press after the meeting, said: "A total of 19 projects were placed at the meeting, but Ecnec approved 17 projects," reported UNB.
He said the overall estimated cost of the 17 approved projects is Tk14,200.59 crore. Of the amount, Tk11, 193.69 crore will come from government funding, while Tk2, 811.62 crore will come from the funds of organizations concerned, and Tk195.62 crore as foreign assistance.
Of the 17 projects, 14 are new and the remaining three are revised ones.
Among the approved projects, the big ones are:
• Rajshahi WASA Surface Water Treatment Plant Project involving Tk4, 062.22 crore
• Development of Electricity Supply System, Chittagong Zone (2nd Phase) involving Tk2,551.91 crore
• Land Acquisition for Upgrading Faridpur-Bhanga-Baishal-Patuakhali-Kuakata National Highway into a four-lane highway, involving Tk1, 867.86 crore
The Ecnec meeting, however, did not give clearance to a project called “Banani-Gulshan-Baridhara Lake Development” as its implementation will displace around 12,000 people from the project area.
“The prime minister emphasized taking measures for relocation of the people first before approving the ‘Banani-Gulshan-Baridhara Lake project,” the planning minister added.
The Ecnec meeting also sent back another project called “Mollarhat 100-Megawatt Solar PV Power Plant” to recast it.
The approved projects include:
• Improvement of Road Network at Wards and Construction of Bus/Truck Terminals in Chittagong City Corporation with an estimated cost of Tk1, 229.97 crore
• Construction of houses for Cleaning Workers of Dhaka City Corporation (1st revised) for Tk254.10 crore
• Upgrading and widening Bairagipul (Barisal)-Tumchar-Bauphal (Patuakhali) District Highway for Tk302.16 crore
• Upgrading and widening Nandigram (Omarpur)-Talora-Dupchachira-Zianagar-Akkelpur (Gopinathpur) District Highway and Nandigram (Kathom)-Kaliganj-Raninagar District Highway For Expanding Trade and Business for Tk179.23 crore
• Construction of multi-storey office building on the premises of the Foreign Ministry for Tk63.56 crore
• Rural Infrastructures Development in Jessore Region for Tk952.25 crore
• Rural Infrastructures Development of Khulna for Tk937.92 crore
• Bagerhat and Satkhira Districts: Extension, Repair and Modernisation of Bangabandhu Poverty Alleviation Training Complex at Kotalipara in Gopalganj ( 3rd revised) for Tk344.74 crore
• Safe Crops Production through Environment-Friendly Strategy for Tk172.13 crore
• Development of Greater Dhaka District Irrigation Area for Tk136.73 crore
• Bank protection and dredging of Jamunaiswari, Ghaghot, and Korotoa Rivers at Mithapukur, Pirganj, Pirgachha, and Rangpur Sadar Upazilas in Rangpur for Tk134.94 crore
• Development of Livestock Resources in Coastal Char-lands for Tk95.34 crore
• The Project for the Improvement of Rescue Capacities in the Coastal and Inland Waters for Tk287.13 crore
• Construction of 13 Buffer Warehouses in Different Districts of the Country to ensure conservation and distribution of Fertilizers (1st revised) for Tk628.40 crore