• Wednesday, Dec 11, 2019
  • Last Update : 04:53 pm

Holey Artisan attack: Why is it taking so long to file a charge sheet?

  • Published at 09:28 pm May 13th, 2018
Holey Artisan attack: Why is it taking so long to file a charge sheet?

Twenty-one people have so far been incriminated in connection with the attack.

Despite almost two years having passed since the attack on Holey Artisan Bakery in Gulshan, the Counter-Terrorism and Transnational Crime unit (CTTC) is yet to submit a charge sheet on the investigation.  

CTTC senior officials were supposed to submit it by December of last year, but since then five months have gone by. Affiliates have said that the charge sheet will be filed within the current month or by June. However, this inexplicable delay has confused many, reports the Bangla Tribune.

Officials of the CTTC – including its deputy commissioner Md Mohibul Islam Khan – have said the Holey Artisan attack was a major incident in the context of the country, so many facets and aspects were being scrutinized before the submission of a charge sheet in order to ensure that the accused do not get the benefit of any doubt. 

Mohibul, who is the official in charge of the investigation also said: “The charge sheet was completed a long time ago, but a few days ago we arrested an absconding criminal called Sagor. The addition of his confession into the charge sheet is what has caused further delays.”

Thus far, 21 people have been incriminated in connection with the Gulshan attack. Of these, five were killed during the attack, and eight were killed in various raids by the police and RAB in Naraynganj and Dhaka. Seven more have been arrested, and, following confessions, are currently incarcerated and awaiting trials.

Investigating officials have said the deceased will remain on the charge sheet to clarify their roles in the attack. However, a reliable source said one suspect who was forcefully held by terrorists with his family may be exempted.

Sources said two others incriminated in the case left the country shortly after the attack, and will be tried in absentia.

On July 1, 2016, Bangladesh witnessed the deadliest terror attack in its history: armed militants entered an upscale eatery in Dhaka’s diplomatic hub and killed 22 people, including 17 foreigners and two policemen.