The Bogra rape survivor, who is under police protection at an undisclosed location, is longing to return home.
On August 7, Judge Emdadul Haque of Bogra Additional District and Sessions Judges’ Court had ordered police to relocate the college student to a “safe home” and her mother, who was also tortured by the alleged perpetrator’s family members, to the victim support centre adjacent to Rajshahi city’s Shah Makhdum police station.
Both the rape survivor and her mother urged the court to allow them to return to their home as they have been “feeling suffocated” living separately.
Even the father of the survivor urged the authorities concerned on Sunday to allow him to take his wife and daughter home but the prosecution did not allow it, fearing retribution from the defendant’s side of the case
Special Public Prosecutor Md Amanullah of Bogra Juvenile Court said: “The victims’ relatives came to us to get them back home. But I advised that they [mother and her daughter] be kept where they are now until the situation becomes normal.”
When contacted over phone, the mother told the Dhaka Tribune that the daughter said she was feeling suffocated as she had been staying at an isolated place.
On July 17, Tufan, a notorious drug peddler and a Sramik League member, raped the girl after luring her into his house with the promise of providing help for her college admission. Later, in an attempt to hush up the whole incident, Tufan shaved the heads of the girl and her mother with the help of his family members, and associates.
Charge sheet submission
Investigation officers said 10 people were made accused in two separate cases – one for rape and the other for torture — filed over the incident. Meanwhile, the police arrested 11 charge-sheeted accused including Tufan, his wife Asha and sister-in-law Marzia Hasan Rumki, who is a councillor of Bogra municipality, and mother-in-law Ruma.
The four were interrogated at jail gate according to court orders. Tufan’s cohorts Atik, Munna and Jibon gave their confessional statement before the court. The remaining accused, who confessed to being involved in the incident but declined to make any confessional statement before the court, were put on remand two to three times.
Bogra Sadar Circle Additional Superintendent of Police (media) Sanatan Chakraborty, also an investigator officer of the cases, said medical tests found evidence of rape and torture.
He added that they would submit charge sheet of the cases towards the end of this month.