Former police superintendent Babul Akter has reiterated that he was not involved with the killing of his wife Mahmuda Khanam Mitu, who was killed in broad daylight in Chittagong last year.
After speaking to investigators at the Chittagong Metropolitan Police (CMP) headquarters on Tuesday night, he had spoken to the investigation officer (IO) about various issues regarding the case.
CMP’s additional deputy commissioner (north) Mohammed Kamruzzaman, also the case's IO, questioned Babul for about four hours.
Babul, who was relieved of his duties months after his wife's murder, was last interrogated on December 17, 2016.
Investigators first interrogated him in Dhaka for 15 hours on June 25 last year.
Kamruzzaman said he had cross-checked some issues and added that charges would be pressed “as soon as possible”.
Mitu was hacked and shot dead by motorcycle-riding assailants near their house on June 06, 2016 when taking her son to school in the GEC area.
Investigators initially suspected militants might have exacted revenge on Babul for performing several successful anti-terrorism raids.
Police have so far arrested five suspects – Anwar, Motaleb Mia Wasim, Shahjahan Mia, Saiful Islam Saku, and alleged firearms supplier Ehteshamul Haque Bhola.
Anwar and Wasim told a Chittagong court that Babul's informer Kamrul Islam Musa had planned the murder and that they took part in it.
Police seized two small arms used in Mitu's murder from Ehteshamul and recovered her SIM card from a rickshaw puller in Bhola.
Two other suspects – Nurul Islam Rashed and Nur Nabi – were killed in an alleged gunfight with police on July 5 last year in Rangunia.
CMP has put a Tk5 lakh bounty on absconding Musa and issued red alert against him and Kalu.
Musa’s wife Panna Akhter claimed plainclothesmen had picked up her husband and brother-in-law Saku on June 22 last year but police rejected the claim.