• Sunday, Jun 16, 2019
  • Last Update : 02:30 am

NHRC probes human rights violations in Banani rape incident

  • Published at 08:15 pm May 25th, 2017
  • Last updated at 10:55 pm May 25th, 2017
NHRC probes human rights violations in Banani rape incident
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) probe committee questioned the Raintree Dhaka’s authorities on Thursday to determine whether any human rights were violated during and after the infamous Banani rape incident. Speaking at a press briefing, the NHRC probe committee convener Nazrul Islam said the committee had spoken with Raintree Dhaka’s Managing Director BAH Adnan Harun and General Manager Franck Forget. Adnan and Forget arrived at the NHRC office at 4:15pm on Thursday. After the meeting, Adnan said: “We have answered all of their questions. I hope they are satisfied with our answers. We welcome the NHRC to probe into the incident and ensure that the perpetrators receive exemplary punishment. However, the negative publicity of our establishment in the news and media has caused a loss to our business and, as such, the human rights of the employees are being violated.” NHRC probe committee convener Nazrul said Adnan and Forget had been vocal about the impact the incident was having on their business and their staff. They had claimed that they were being humiliated by society and felt that their basic rights as people and as a legitimate business were being violated. He added that when questioned about the weapons used to intimidate the two university students during the rape, the hotel authorities had said the weapons had been deposited with the front desk as per the hotel’s rules. Nazrul further said once the committee had spoken with all parties concerned, including the two rape victims, and had verified all the information, they would be able to draw their conclusions. The NHRC had also summoned the Dhaka Metropolitan Police’s Gulshan division Deputy Commissioner Mostak Ahmed and the Banani police station Officer-in-Charge Farman Ali, but the two law enforcement officials had written to the committee requesting more time. When asked if the police were being non-cooperative in their investigations, probe committee member Akhter Hussain said: “I would not say they are not cooperating. They asked for more time and we granted that request.”