• Tuesday, Jan 21, 2020
  • Last Update : 01:25 pm

Militant limbs still inside Sylhet's Atia Mahal

  • Published at 02:54 pm April 1st, 2017
  • Last updated at 07:42 pm April 1st, 2017
Militant limbs still inside Sylhet's Atia Mahal
The bodies of two militants, who blew themselves up at a militant hideout in Sylhet's Shibbari during Operation Twilight,  are yet to be retrieved despite three days having passed since the raid. Locals have begun complaining about the horrible stench coming from the decaying body parts. "We cannot stay at home thanks to the odour,” said Pathanpara resident Siplu Dey. “It is hard to even breathe.” The stench is getting worse with every passing minute, locals said. Army para-commandos led the successful 111-hour raid and saved 78 people and killed two militants. Two others, who were inside the building, had blown themselves to pieces. Six people, including two policemen, were killed and dozens were injured in two explosions near the militant hideout during the raid. RAB intelligence wing chief Lt Col Abul Kalam Azad, injured in the explosion, died on Friday. It is suspected that the attacker was one of the militants from the Borohat hideout in Moulvibazar, that was raided in Operation Maximus. Security forces said the militants had rigged Atia Mahal's floor, staircase and the entrance with explosives. The building was handed over to the police on Tuesday. Police said the foul smell was interfering with their work as well, but they could not remove the bodies before bomb disposal units swept Atia Mahal. “We cannot retrieve the bodies until then,” Sylhet Metropolitan Police Additional Commissioner Jedan Al Musa said on Friday. SMP Additional Commissioner SM Rokonuddin told the Dhaka Tribune that a bomb disposal unit had been sweeping the building since Tuesday. “Several more units will join the cleaning operation soon,” he said. “But we are not sure when the operation will end.”