• Sunday, Nov 18, 2018
  • Last Update : 01:37 am

Hummam Quader cannot remember anything about abduction

  • Published at 01:33 pm March 3rd, 2017
  • Last updated at 12:14 pm March 4th, 2017
Hummam Quader cannot remember anything about abduction
The son of an executed war criminal resurfaced near his Dhanmondi residence around 3am on Thursday, seven months after he was picked up by unidentified men from the main gate of the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Court in Dhaka on August 3, 2016. But Hummam Quader Chowdhury, the son of executed war criminal Salauddin Quader Chowdhury, cannot remember where he had been for the past seven months, family members claimed yesterday. Salauddin’s younger brother, Giash Uddin Quader Chowdhury, told the Dhaka Tribune that the past whereabouts of his nephew Hummam had remained a mystery. “He did not recognise the people who dropped him off. He can only remember being dropped near his home from a microbus,” he said. “Hummam is mentally and physically unwell. He needs rest and will not be able to talk to anyone for the time being.” His family earlier claimed that law enforcers in plainclothes had picked him up. At that time, Hummam’s personal secretary Minhaj Uddin Chowdhury Shibli then said that Hummam had been in a white Nissan car when three to four people claiming to be DB members stopped the vehicle and picked him up. They were told that Hummam had been picked up in connection to a case.
Also Read: Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury’s son Hummam returns home
Salauddin Quader was hanged at the Dhaka Central Jail on November 22 last year. He was convicted on October 1, 2013 by the International Crimes Tribunal for committing genocide in Chittagong’s Raozan area during the 1971 Liberation War. In September last year, Hummam and Salauddin’s wife Farhat Quader Chowdhury were acquitted of the charge of leaking the draft verdict in Salauddin's war crimes case. Four others including Salauddin’s manager Mahbubul Ahsan were handed down seven year imprisonment and fined Tk10,000 each in the case. Hummam was earlier arrested in September 2015 in a case filed over attempted murder. Meanwhile, New York-based Human Rights Watch and London-based Amnesty International in a joint statement yesterday said that the release of Hummam was “a step forward,” and demanded that the authorities immediately reveal the fate and whereabouts of two other The two others are Mir Ahmad Bin Quasem, son of executed war criminal Mir Quasem Ali, and Brig Gen (dismissed) Abdullahil Amaan Azmi, son of razakar kingpin Ghulam Azam who died while serving prison terms after his conviction. The statement says that the duo were picked up in August 2016 in separate incidents. “They should either be charged or released without delay. Brad Adams, Asia director at HRW, alleged that the duo had been picked up in front of relatives and other eyewitnesses and “there is little room for denial that security forces were involved in their enforced disappearances.” Biraj Patnaik, South Asia director at Amnesty International, said: “The Bangladeshi authorities need to put an end to this criminal practice immediately. They should bring those suspected of criminal responsibility to justice in fair trials without recourse to the death penalty.”