• Thursday, Jun 20, 2019
  • Last Update : 11:40 am

Buddhist monk murder: Police eyeing 3 possible causes

  • Published at 11:24 pm May 16th, 2016
  • Last updated at 11:30 pm May 16th, 2016
Buddhist monk murder: Police eyeing 3 possible causes
Police are looking into at least three possible motives behind the barbaric murder of Buddhist monk Maung Shue U at Naikhongchhari upazila in Bandarban. “We are considering three different possibilities – the problems with the construction of Maung's temple, his family feuds, and the militants,” said Mizanur Rahman, superintendent of police in Bandarban, on Monday. He further said there was another possibility of Rohingyas being involved in the murder. The monk, 70, was found in a pool of blood by his daughter-in-law around 5am on Saturday when she went into the temple to give him food, local sources told the Dhaka Tribune. Police said the monk had been hacked in the neck. Maung's family claimed that he did not have any enmity or dispute with anyone in or outside his family. His son Ching Sa U Chak filed a murder case with Naikhongchhari police station on Saturday evening. According to locals, the Buddhist temple in Chakpara was established two years ago in a quite place. As part of religious rituals, Maung had been living in the temple alone for two years, meditating. Police sources said drives were in progress around Naikhonchhari to detain suspects of the murder, and additional teams had been deployed to patrol the area. In addition to the local police, six senior officials from the district Detective Branch have been sent to investigate the murder, said Naikhonchhari police station OC Abul Khayer. Police have already arrested three people in connection with the case. They were picked up on early Sunday in the upazila's Baishari union. The arrestees are Ziaur Rahman, 25, Abdur Rahim, 40, and Chha Mong Chak, 45. Of the trio, Zia and Rahim are Rohingyas, police said. Superintendent Mizan said police did not obtain any significant information during the primary interrogation of the detainees, which is why they would petition to place the arrestees on remand. “We are hopeful that we will be able to solve this mystery soon.” Maung's funeral was held yesterday afternoon in Chakpara. The ceremony was attended my Buddhist monks who came from around the country. Protests have been taking place to demand justice for the slain monk. The murder has created widespread panic among the minorities in the area. “We still cannot believe that someone like Maung would get killed. He was a calm person who lived by himself,” said Mongbaching Chak, local Awami League leader.