• Thursday, Apr 09, 2020
  • Last Update : 05:08 pm

Dr Yunus gets bail

  • Published at 12:08 pm January 26th, 2020
Dr Mohammad Yunus
File photo of Dr Muhammad Yunus Syed Zakir Hossain/Dhaka Tribune

The bail was granted after the Nobel laureate and three others surrendered before the court

A labour court has granted bail to Grameen Communications Chairman Nobel Laureate Dr Muhammad Yunus, and three others in a case filed over violating labour rules.

Dhaka Labour Court 3 Chairman Rahibul Islam granted the bails, after they surrendered before it on Sunday.

The three other Grameen Communications officials are Managing Director Naznin Sultana and Director Abdul Hai Khan, and Deputy General Manager Gouri Shankar.

On January 5, Department of Inspection for Factories and Establishments Labour Inspector (General) Tariqul Islam filed a case with the Dhaka Labour Court 3 against the four for violating ten rules of the Labour Act.

According to the case statement, the plaintiff found violations of several labour rules when he visited the Grameen Communications office on October 10, 2019.

On April 30, 2019, the organization was asked to fix their faults and on May 7, Grameen Communications submitted their written explanations that were not satisfactory, it said.

The plaintiff on October 10, 2019, again visited the organization and found proof of violation of ten sections of the labour law and asked them about it on October 28, 2019.

The defendants took time for giving their statements but they did not do so and they violated the labour law, the case details mentioned.

Other three cases

On July 3, 2019, sacked Grameen Communications Workers, Employees Union general secretary Abdus Salam, publicity secretary Shah Alam, and another person filed three cases against Yunus, after they were sacked in June for forming a trade union at the workplace.

The Labour Court 3 issued an arrest warrant for Dr Yunus on October 9, 2019, when he failed to appear in court in connection with the cases.

On October 28, the High Court ordered the authorities concerned not to harass Dr Yunus at the airport.

Yunus was granted till November 7 to surrender upon his return home.

On November 3, after appearing before the court, Yunus was granted bail when he surrendered.