Delwar Hossain, the defence counsel said this to reporters at the Dhaka court premises on Wednesday
The defence counsel of the Holey Artisan case verdict said they are not satisfied with the lower court's verdict and will appeal to the higher court against it.
Delwar Hossain, the defence counsel said this to reporters at the Dhaka court premises on Wednesday.
Earlier in the day, the Anti-Terrorism Special Tribunal Judge Md Majibur Rahman sentenced seven of the eight accused to death.
The court also fined the convicts Tk50,000 each.
Also Read- Revisiting the descent into darkness
The eighth accused Mizanur Rahman alias Baro Mizan was acquitted from the charges.
Three years ago in 2016, the Holey Artisan Bakery and Café was stormed by five men.
During the attack on July 1, 22 people-- including 17 foreigners—were brutally killed by these militants.
Five attackers – Nibras Islam, Rohan Imtiaz, Meer Saameh Mubasser, Khairul Islam and Shafiqul Islam – were all killed in the Operation Thunderbolt that the Para Commando Battalion launched at the bakery on the morning of July 2.
A case was filed with the Gulshan police station under the Anti-Terrorism Act.
After more than two years of investigation, the Counter-Terrorism and Transnational Crime (CTTC) unit of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) submitted a charge sheet on July 23, 2018. The charge sheet named eight suspected operatives of the banned militant outfit Jamaatul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB).
The trial began on November 26, 2018, after charges were framed against the eight militants.