• Tuesday, Feb 25, 2020
  • Last Update : 09:58 pm

Verdict on Nusrat murder case Oct 24

  • Published at 03:44 pm September 30th, 2019
Nusrat Jahan Rafi
File photo of Nusrat Jahan Rafi, an Alim examinee and student of Sonagazi Madrasa in Feni, who died on April 10, after being set on fire on April 6 Dhaka Tribune

Nusrat was set on fire on April 6 on the madrasa's rooftop

A Feni tribunal has fixed October 24 to hand down the verdict in the case filed over the murder of Nusrat Jahan Rafi, a madrasa student who died after being set ablaze.

Judge Mamunur Rashid of Feni Women and Children Repression Prevention Tribunal fixed the date on Monday, after hearing the arguments of both sides.

Confirming the matter to Dhaka Tribune, Public Prosecutor of Feni District Judge Court Hafez Ahmed said: "Lawyers representing the state put forward their comprehensive argument, demanding maximum punishment for culprits."

On the other hand, the defendant's lawyer Advocate Mahfuzul Haque expressed hope that his clients would be acquitted in the case.

He believed that there were many inconsistencies in the arguments from the state's side and that they presented weak witnesses.

Meanwhile, Nusrat's brother Mahmudul Hasan Noman, the plaintiff of the case, claimed: "The allegations of Nusrat's brutal murder have been proved to be true in court. Therefore, I hope that the convicts receive maximum punishment."

Trial proceedings

On May 29, the Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI)investigated the case and submitted a charge-sheet sheet, seeking the death penalty for prime accused Sirajuddaula and 15 others.

The trial for the case began on June 10 when the case moved to a Feni court. On June 20, 16 people, including the madrasa principle Sirajuddaula were indicted by the court.

The judgment procedure began by examining the case’s complainant Noman in the court on June 27, and June 30. The tribunal heard testimonies of 87 witnesses out of 92.

What happened?

On April 6, 18-year-old Nusrat Jahan, an alim examinee and Sonagazi Islamia Senior Fazil Madrasa, was set on fire on the roof of the madrasa by people loyal to Sirajuddaula, the principal, in broad daylight, after she refused to withdraw a sexual harassment case her family filed against him on May 27.

She succumbed to her critical burn injuries at the Dhaka Medical College Hospital on April 10, which sparked a nationwide outrage and a public demand for swift justice against the perpetrators.