• Sunday, Dec 15, 2019
  • Last Update : 05:25 pm

Nusrat Murder: Charge framing hearing against ex-Sonagazi OC July 10

  • Published at 09:21 pm June 30th, 2019
web-oc moazzem-feni
File photo: Police escort Moazzem Hossain, former Officer-in-Charge (OC) of Sonagazi Police Station, at Bangladesh Cyber Crime Tribunal on Sunday, June 30, 2019 Syed Zakir Hossain/Dhaka Tribune

Court rejects Moazzem’s plea to meet lawyers

A Dhaka court has fixed July 10 for the hearing on framing of charges against Moazzem Hossain, former Officer-in-Charge (OC) of Sonagazi Police Station, in a case filed under the Digital Security Act.

Judge As-Shams Jaglul Hossain of the Bangladesh Cyber Crime Tribunal fixed the date on Sunday after accepting a plea of OC Moazzem's lawyer for deferring the hearing, reports UNB.

Also Read- Sonagazi OC Kamal Hossain transferred

However, the court rejected another petition from Moazzem, wherein he sought permission to meet with his lawyers.

The former OC has been accused of unlawfully interrogating Feni madrasa student Nusrat Jahan Rafi, and video recording the incident on phone. 

The video was later circulated on social media.

After Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) investigators found the allegations brought against him to be substantiated, the tribunal sent the OC to jail on June 17. The OC was arrested on June 16 from the Shahbag area in the capital.

Also Read- Former OC Moazzem to get division as per jail code

According to the case statement, Moazzem had summoned Sonagazi Islamia Senior Fazil Madrasa's Principal Sirajuddoula, and Nusrat to the police station after the latter accused the principal of sexually harassing her.

Nusrat's mother had filed a complaint with Sonagazi police over her daughter's sexual harassment. The OC interrogated Nusrat in the absence of her lawyer or any other woman, and also used inappropriate language.

Nusrat was set on fire on April 6, on the rooftop of the Madrasa, when she went there for her exams, reportedly by people loyal to Sirajuddoula. She died on April 10 at Dhaka Medical College Hospital.