• Monday, Nov 18, 2019
  • Last Update : 11:13 am

HC summons a Dhaka court judge for non-compliance

  • Published at 01:06 am June 27th, 2019
High Court-HC-court
File photo of the Bangladesh Supreme Court Dhaka Tribune

80-year-old Rabeya Khatun, neither acquitted nor convicted, has already served six months in jail

The High Court summoned the judge of a Dhaka court when the trial court continued a criminal case proceeding stayed by the Supreme Court.

The Dhaka metropolitan special tribunal-2 judge will have to comply with the order on July 3 and explain why the trial proceedings were not stopped, thus defying the HC decision, said Deputy Attorney General KM Zahid Sarwar Kajol.

The latest order of the HC division of the Supreme Court, comprised of Justice Jahangir Hossain Selim and Justice Md Riaz Uddin Khan, came after a Wednesday 26 June hearing of a writ petition.

The murder trial has been running for 18 years. 

One of the accused in the case, Rabeya Khatun is more than 80-years old.  The two others accused are Julhas and Masud. 

The case was lodged with the Tejgaon police station on June 2, 2002, against Rabeya Khatun, Julhas, and Masud, on charges of possessing an illegal firearm and six bullets. 

The prosecution started the case proceedings against the accused in 2003 once the police framed charges. 

According to reports, Rabeya Khatun has now already served six months in jail.

The HC court stayed the trial proceedings of the case on April 30, 2019, for three months, and called for the records of the case. However, the trial court continued with the trial proceedings for four days, according to Deputy Attorney General Zahid Sarwar Kajol.  

Rabeya was present in court on Tuesday during the hearing of the writ petition.

The writ petition was filed by Advocate Ashraful Alam Nobel following a news report in the Daily Samakal with the headline: "How many more days will she roam the courts?"

In the Bangla news daily article, 80-year-old Rabeya Khatun told reporters that she has been appearing in courts since 2002, but the judge has not yet reached a verdict.  

"I do not know when it will be over... the court neither acquits me nor convicts me," she said.