• Monday, Jan 20, 2020
  • Last Update : 03:01 pm

Nusrat murder: 3 sent back to jail after one-day remand

  • Published at 04:26 pm May 9th, 2019
Police escort Jobayer Ahmed, a key accused in the Nusrat Jahan Rafi murder case, at the Feni court premises on Sunday, April 21, 2019 Dhaka Tribune

They have confessed to their involvement in Nusrat's murder

A Feni court has sent three accused in the case filed for the murder of madrasa student Nusrat Jahan Rafi, back to jail – after their one-day remand.

Feni Senior Judicial Magistrate, Md Jakir Hossain, passed the order on Thursday as police produced them before the court after their remand.

The accused are Shahadat Hossain Shamim, Javed Hossain, and Jobayer Ahmed.

Confirming the matter to Dhaka Tribune, Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) Inspector Md Shah Alam said: "The three accused have already confessed in court to their direct involvement in the attack on Nusrat. 

"We produced them before the court seeking a three-day remand for more extensive interrogation and also to collect more evidence related with Nusrat's murder. The court granted only a one-day remand."

"We were able to extract information regarding the glass that was used to pour kerosene on Nusrat. 

"We recovered the glass from the second floor of the Sonagazi Islamia Senior Fazil Madrasa's academic building."

Previously, on Wednesday, police produced these three accused before the court seeking a three-day remand – though the court granted only one-day remand.

Alim examinee Nusrat suffered 80% burns after she was set on fire on the roof of the institution in Sonagazi on April 6; by four burqa-clad assailants who were allegedly followers of the now-suspended madrasa principal Sirajuddaula.

The 18-year-old girl was attacked for refusing to withdraw a case her family filed last month against Sirajuddaula for sexually harassing and assaulting her.

Her family filed another case against eight people—including Sirajuddaula—on April 8 for the attack on Nusrat. That case was later accepted as a murder case.

Sirajuddaula, who was arrested after the first case was filed, is currently behind bars, with six others accused.