• Friday, Jan 24, 2020
  • Last Update : 01:49 am

Avijit murder trial transferred to anti-terrorism tribunal

  • Published at 06:36 pm March 25th, 2019
File photo of Avijit Roy and his wife Rafida Ahmed Bonya Collected from Facebook

The charge sheet in the case, accusing six militants, was filed before the court earlier this month

A Dhaka court has transferred blogger, Avijit Roy’s,  murder trial to anti-terrorism tribunal for further hearing.

Metropolitan Magistrate, Sarfuzzaman Ansari, passed the order on Monday, after seeing the charge sheet filed in the case of the 2015 murder of the US-based Bangladeshi writer, according to a court official.

Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crime (CTTC) unit Inspector, Mohammad Monirul Islam, who is also the case investigation officer, filed the charge sheet before the court on March 14.

The six accused are,  sacked army major,  Syed Ziaul Haque alias Major Zia, 42; Abu Siddique Sohel, 34; Mozammel Hossain alias Saymon alias Shahriar, Arafat Rahman alias Siam, 24; Shafiur Rahman Farabi, 29; and Akram Hossain alias Abir alias Adnan, 30.

Of them, Zia and Abir are still at large. All six are members of the banned militant outfit, Ansar al-Islam, formerly known as, Ansarullah Bangla Team

Also Read- Blogger Avijit murder case: Charge sheet submitted against Major Zia, 5 others

Inspector Monirul also pleaded to exclude 15 others from the case.

Fugitives, Major Zia and Abir, were the masterminds of the killing, while Farabi was charged with instigating the murder.

Md Mukul Rana, the leader of Ansar al-Islam’s operational branch, who was also involved in the killing, was meanwhile killed in a shootout with the police in Dhaka’s Khilgaon.

Avijit, also an US citizen, was murdered near the Teacher-Student Centre (TSC) of the Dhaka University while returning from the Amar Ekushey Book Fair on February 26, 2015.

His wife Rafida Ahmed Bonya was severely wounded in the attack, but survived.

A case over the murder was filed at Shahbagh police station, and Dhaka Metropolitan Police’s Detective Branch commenced the investigation.  Later, the investigation was transferred to the CTTC unit.