• Sunday, Apr 21, 2019
  • Last Update : 09:47 pm

Faruque murder case: Court rejects MP Rana's bail, Tangail faces turmoil

  • Published at 08:32 pm September 5th, 2018
File Photo of Police escort Awami League MP Amanur Rahman Khan Rana in the Tangail court building premises on Wednesday, September 5, 2018 Dhaka Tribune

Around 12 noon, police lobbed teargas shells and charged at the protesters with batons to disperse Rana's supporters

A Tangail court has set September 27 for hearing the testimony of the fourth witness in the sensational murder case of freedom fighter and Awami League leader, Faruque.

Additional District and Sessions Judge of Tangail court, Maksuda Khanam, gave the order in the presence of one of the accused, Awami League MP of Tangail-3 (Ghatail) seat, Amanur Rahman Khan Rana, on Wednesday.

The court also rejected Rana's bail plea at around 4pm. The hearing for the bail plea was previously held on August 8.

The new date for hearing the witness testimony was set due to the absence of the witness on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, from the morning onwards, security was enforced around the area surrounding the court and in different parts of the city. A tense environment prevailed regarding Rana's bail plea.

People wanting Rana's punishment brought out a procession in the court area after Rana was taken to the Tangail District and Sessions Judges court in the morning.

On the other hand, Rana's supporters brought out another procession in front of Shamsul Haque gate near the court, demanding his bail. They refused to back down even after repeated warnings from the police.

Around 12 noon, police lobbed teargas shells and charged at the protesters with batons to disperse them.  At 1pm, they recovered eight rounds of bullets, two magazines, and a pistol, from a shop near Tangail General Hospital. 

Police also detained 11 of Rana's supporters, after initially detaining Raisul Islam Rabbi and Majahar Hossain Tomal. 

Additionally, police also recovered two Chinese axes, two local hammers, and two metal rods from the District Gate area of the town, confirmed Superintendent of Tangail police, Sanjit Kumar Roy, during a press briefing held at 2:30pm.

Additional Superintendent of Tangail police (Admin), Shariful Haque, said: "A chaotic situation was seen in Tangail town centering MP Amanur Rahman Khan Rana's hearing. A large number of police were deployed in town to keep the situation under control."

He said around 12 noon, supporters of Rana clashed at the Shamsul Haque gateway with those supporting murdered freedom fighter Faruque Ahmed,  when police used force to scatter them and bring the situation under control. At that time, 11 people from the processions were detained, Shariful said.

Rana sought bail after surrendering to the same court on September 18, 2016, following 22 months in hiding. However, the court sent him to jail after rejecting his bail plea, and his subsequent pleas at the higher court and lower court were rejected as well.

On January 18, 2013, influential Awami League leader and freedom fighter, Faruque Ahmed, was rescued from near his house in the College Para area in a critical condition. Taken to Tangail General Hospital, he was declared dead.

Three days after the incident, Faruque's wife Nahar Ahmed filed a case with Tangail Model police station.  Although the police from Tangail Model police station initially started investigating the case, it was later taken under the jurisdiction of the district detective police. 

With the investigation underway, on August 11, 2014, police arrested a close employee of Rana, Anisur Rahman Raja.

On August 27, 2014, Raja made a confessional statement to Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate Shahadat Hossain after a 15-day remand.

 On February 3, 2016, police filed charge-sheets in the court against 14 accused, including MP Rana and three of his brothers.

Another accused, Md Ali, was arrested on August 24 of the same year. He confessed to Senior Judicial Magistrate, Sheikh Najmun Nahar, on September 5 after a remand of 10 days. 

From both of the confessions, it came out that Tangail-3 (Ghatail) MP, Amanur Rahman Khan Rana, and his younger brother, former Vice-President of Central Chhatra League, Saniyat Khan Bappa, were involved in Faruque Ahmed's murder. 

Later, it also came to light that Rana's  two other brothers- interim Mayor of Tangail Municipality, Shahidur Rahman Khan, and President of Tangail district Merchant Association, Jahidur Rahman Khan Kakon, had been involved with the murder as well.