• Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019
  • Last Update : 07:31 pm

SC adjourns plea hearing until Monday against HC order sending Shahidul to BSMMU

  • Published at 02:14 pm August 9th, 2018
Photographer Shahidul Alam getting out of a vehicle with help from police officials while being taken to the Dhaka Chief Metropolitan Magistrate's Court for a remand hearing on Monday, August 6, 2018 Dhaka Tribune

On Wednesday, Shahidul was taken to BSMMU for a medical check-up  

The Appellate Division has adjourned, until Monday, the hearing on a government petition that challenges a High Court order sending photographer Shahidul Alam to Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU) Hospital. 

A four-member bench, headed by Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain, issued the order on Thursday. This after Shahidul’s lawyer said the High Court is set to hear a petition that was filed to challenge the remand order against Shahidul.

Attorney General Mahbubey Alam represented the state during the hearing.  

A High Court bench of Justice Syed Muhammad Dastagir Husain and Justice Md Iqbal Kabir will hear the petition around 2pm. 

Earlier in the morning, the BSMMU Hospital authorities submitted a report on the famed photographer’s health condition to the High Court. 

On Wednesday, Shahidul was taken to BSMMU Hospital from the custody of Detective Branch (DB) of police for health check-up following a High Court order. 

He was returned to DB custody, a few hours later, as the medical board formed to check his condition did not find any reason to admit him to the hospital. 

On Tuesday, the High Court ordered Shahidul be moved to BSMMU Hospital from DB custody.

On August 4 and 5, the photographer live-streamed on Facebook, several times, to report on the protests in Dhaka’s Jigatola. Clashes took place between students demonstrating for safer roads, police, and allegedly, activists of ruling party affiliate organizations.

Shahidul, who is the founder of the Pathshala South Asian Media Institute and also Drik, talked about these issues and criticized the government during an interview with Al Jazeera on August 5.

He was then picked up by DB police officials from his Dhanmondi residence on Sunday night, and taken to the DB office, on Mintoo Road, on Monday morning.

Later, the 63-year-old photographer was placed on a seven-day remand in a case filed under the ICT Act. He was charged with spreading fabricated information, rumours, and false information against the government via social media.