• Sunday, Feb 23, 2020
  • Last Update : 06:22 pm

Nawshaba remanded for four days

  • Published at 07:21 pm August 5th, 2018
Actor Quazi Nawshaba Ahmed being escorted into the Dhaka Chief Metropolitan Magistrate's Court by police officials on Sunday, August 5, 2018 Focus Bangla

The actor had spread “fake news” on social media about the student protests for road safety

A Dhaka court has placed actor Quazi Nawshaba Ahmed on a four-day remand in police custody in a case filed under the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Act.

Metropolitan Magistrate Md Mazharul Haque passed the order on Sunday after Uttara Police Station Sub-Inspector Bikash Chandra Paul, also the case investigation officer, produced her before the court.

Nawshaba’s lawyer AHM Imrul Kawser had filed a bail plea, but the court rejected it and had her remanded.

On Saturday afternoon, Nawshaba went live on Facebook and claimed that two students had been killed and another blinded during clashes between students and police and reportedly activists of ruling party affiliate organizations.

Her claims were not backed by proof;this created controversy and spread panic among students and on social media.

Later, she admitted that she did not witness the incidents and had received the information from a friend.

Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) on Saturday night arrested Nawshaba from the capital’s Uttara.

RAB 1 filed the case against her at Uttara west police station on Sunday.

Students of different schools and colleges have been staging demonstrations for the last eight days demanding safer roads and punishment of those responsible for an accident on the city’s Airport Road that killed two students of the Shaheed Ramiz Uddin Cantonment School and College on July 29.

Apart from blockading major city streets, they have also been enforcing traffic laws on their own, including checking driving licences and vehicle registration and fitness documents.

The movement has spread across the country in the past few days.

However, violence marred Saturday and Sunday’s demonstrations in Dhaka when police and activists of reportedly ruling party affiliate organizations got involved.