Hackers pulled off the biggest heist in modern banking history when they stole $81 million from Bangladesh Bank’s account with the Federal Reserve Bank of New York in February 2016
A Dhaka court has set July 12 for the submission of the probe report in the case filed over the Bangladesh Bank reserve heist.
Metropolitan Magistrate AKM Moinuddin Siddiqui fixed the date as the investigation officer failed to submit the report on Sunday.
Motijheel police station’s general registrar officer’s assistant Jahidur Rahman confirmed the matter, reports Bangla Tribune.
Hackers pulled off the biggest heist in modern banking history when they stole $81 million from Bangladesh Bank’s account with the Federal Reserve Bank of New York in February 2016.
Of the amount, $20 million was transferred to Sri Lanka which was stopped. But the $81 million sent to accounts at Manila-based RCBC had disappeared into the casino industry in the Philippines.
On November 10 last year, Philippines had sent back $14 million to Bangladesh Bank following a court order, which was retrieved mostly from a Manila casino junket operator. Prior to that, in February 2016, Bangladesh received $70,000 from Rizal Commercial Banking Corporation (RCBC) of Manila.
On March 15, 2016, Bangladesh Bank Accounts and Budgeting department Joint Director Jubair Bin Huda filed a case at the Motijheel police station over the heist.
The next day, the court ordered the Criminal Investigation Department to investigate the case and submit a probe report.
The CID has termed the cyber attack a transnational crime, finding around 40 citizens from nine to ten countries involved in the incident.
Meanwhile, according to a Reuters report an FBI officer in the Philippines who has been involved in the investigations said: “The heist of $81 million from the Bangladesh central bank’s account at the New York Federal Reserve in 2016 was ‘state-sponsored’,” on March 29 2017.
Russian-based Kaspersky released a 58-page report on Lazarus, a group linked to the heist in Bangladesh and the 2014 attack on Sony’s Hollywood studio, which the US government blamed on North Korea.
Among its findings, the report said Lazarus hackers made a direct connection from an IP address in North Korea to a server in Europe that was used to control systems infected by the group.